Wednesday, January 25, 2012

So I was just riding along


So yesterday I was out getting my ride in and was just starting to think to myself "ok, you are finally starting to get a little of your old fitness back". Legs felt strong, back wasn't nagging at me, and my heart rate was nice and low at a quick pace. I guess it's my own fault for praising myself on good work the last 5 weeks after roughly 6 months off the bike. The next thing I know I'm bouncing, and skidding across the pavement. I was in a turn and the front wheel went out from under me so quickly it was like the bike wasn't even there. My right arm blew up immediately and I had a lot of pain in my back lower ribs area. On top of it I couldn't breathe and quickly realized I couldn't move my arm. My arm swelled up so quick i could hardly get the arm warmer off. One weird thing is that my arm warmer didn't have any tears or rips on it, but my arm got tore up. Weird? So I hobble home the whole time knowing I'm yet again going to be off the bike for a long period of time. I think I was mumbling something along the lines of "are you shitting me"?


I guess the crash was worse then I thought. Later in the day I went back to the scene of the crash and saw the evidence, captured in the picture above. Best I can figure is there was something in the road and it was a little wet. I wasn't even pushing it, so it's still a mystery to me. Guess my next purchase will be a set of these:


How do I feel about the upcoming time off the bike after the 6 month forced layoff last year? I think the picture says it all. This was actually how I think my face looked when I was stumbling home mumbling "are you shitting me"?



The end result of all this is my race schedule is going to get re-prioritized. I'll still do the races, but won't be expecting much out of myself. It's about having fun though, so i have to keep that in mind. I'm going to be starting base training when I should be doing speed work. Oh well, I guess watch out for me late in the season. While all you other chumps are getting burned out I'll just be hitting my stride!

No comments:

Post a Comment