Friday, January 13, 2012

Leaner and Meaner

The title speaks for itself right now. I'm getting leaner and feeling meaner. The meaner part is due to ALWAYS being hungry from trying to accomplish the leaner part. It's no secret that as a cyclist we want to be as lean as we can. The math is simple and it revolves around the power to weight ratio. The more power you put out, and the less weight you carry, the more leg shavers you can crush. Your saying right now, "I like crushing leg shavers - how can I get involved"? The concept is simple enough, but the work takes time. First get a coach or training plan and work your butt off. While your doing this you must also eat less than you burn - how much depends on how lean you want to get. Sounds easy, right? Wrong! To do this consistently takes a lot of discipline, commitment and hard work. How lean is too lean you ask? Great question? I have friends that are almost 6 feet tall and weigh 148 and still want to lose more.


As for myself, well I'm never going to, nor do I want to look like captain tan lines above. I'm probably at a really good racing weight in the 165-170 pound range. If I work hard through the winter like I have been and stay healthy enough to keep training, well than I may see the 170's sometime this summer? I take it off about a pound a week. Why so slow your wondering? For Several reason's:
     1. It's healthier - It's been said not to lose more than 2 pounds a week
     2. The weight is more likely to stay off when you lose it slowly
     3. All that training means I need to build up and then restore glycogen(carbohydrate stores in your    
      muscles) and protein. Let's not forget the POWER part of power to weight ratio.

Ideally by the start of race season this April my legs should start to look something like this:


Except that mine will have hair on them. You can just start calling me QUADZILLA now if you'd like to beat the rush. One thing you have to remember out there. If all this were easy than everyone would be able to do it. If you want results - or in my case to win races, you have to put the work in and it's meant to be hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment