Thursday, January 12, 2012

North Carolina Nut Herding Ninjas!


The last few weeks I have almost killed a handful of squirrels (and myself trying to avoid them) while riding my bike in the woods. Usually they wait until spring time to get crazy, but with all the warm weather lately they have been on it like a bad habit. Seems the squirrels love to duck, dive, dip, and duck then at the last second dart right across in front of your wheel or spring from the tree on your left to the tree on your right directly inches from your face. I even had nightmares that an army of these crack head squirrels were after me. The other day while riding Anne Springs (a local favorite trail of mine) I decided to take the camera and document these maniacs. First encounter the squirrel of course acted like he was going the opposite direction from me, than out of nowhere he b-lines it for my front wheel. I slam on the brakes and he zig-zags at the last instant. I stopped and said out loud "who the hell do you think you are"? He turned to me and I got my camera out to take the above picture! I thought I was seeing things until I checked the camera. No wonder they can do impossible gymnastics moves at lightning speed!


The next squirrel came out of nowhere. I never even saw him coming. I think he back flipped over my front wheel somehow and than disappeared as quickly as he arrived. I stopped and said to myself "what was that"? This ninja squirrel than appeared on a tree limb.I quickly snapped the picture of him and then he vanished into thin air. Creepy.

I started to wonder how these squirrels can be so brave. I mean they are pretty small and mountain bikers on bikes have got to seem really big to them. So why do they taunt us, and play chicken with something that will smash them like a grape? Just than I heard a noise and looked to my right and what I saw astonished me.


Those aren't Acorns. More balls then brains, that is why these flying rodents are so crazy for cocoa puffs. So, next time your in North Carolina beware these nut herding ninjas!

While these events are fictional, the squirrels here are really out of their minds. Some of them are even learning to ride bikes and apparently have been eating more than just nuts


No comments:

Post a Comment