Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Oh Canada

Just finished getting the trip all booked to Canada in March. The wifey has a conference for work, in Banff! Canadian Rockies baby, hell yeah! Super stoked to be going. I've never been to Banff before, but have been told that it's unbelievably spectacular. This pic back's that claim up pretty well.

You snowboarders out there see the same line I do from the top of that peak. Yeah, thought so. Wifey is actually presenting at this conference, so it will be a little more work for her. I'll be thinking about here while I'm snowboarding at one of the 3 local resorts. The best local stuff looks like Sunshine Village Resort (http://www.skibanff.com/sunshine-village/quick-facts/) with 3,500 vert, a couple terrain parks, and 107 runs. Next up is Lake Louise, which looks like one of the better back country local mountains. 4200 acres, bowls on the back side of the mountain, and the claim to fame is more terrain then you can ski in a week. Yeah, we'll see about that, bet I can track that place out in 3 days! (http://www.skilouise.com/)


All this talking of tracking out reminds me of the rules on a powder day. Do you know the rules? Are you asking yourself what's wrong with this maniac? Why would someone have rules about boarding beautiful, alluring, best fun you can have legally on snow powder? Once you read the rules you'll understand. Rule #1 is:

That's right, no friends on a powder day. Why? It's a long list, but the basics of it is this: Your friend says I'm cold, can we take a break? I take my glove off and bitch slap him. Ten minutes later he says, I can't feel my feet, can we take a break? I take my glove off and bitch slap him. Twenty minutes later he says, I'm hungry, can we go eat. I grow tired of the bitch slaps so I take the easy way out and throw him off the chairlift. Then I mumble for the next five minutes something like, little whiny bitch - that's what he gets. Once I get off the lift and do one of these(below)I forget his name.



See on a powder day you want to get as many runs in the deep stuff before the place gets tracked out. Nobody on the east coast understands tracked out, because we never get any REAL powder. Out west the locals are on it. One trip to Tahoe I got up super early only to be like the 500th person in line at the chairlift 2 hours before it opened. Once you get the 190 pound machine started on a powder day there is no stopping. If I wanna eat it better be in my jacket pocket, otherwise I'll just find some tree bark and that will hold me over. Bathroom breaks happen while I'm on the chairlift - hopefully there aren't too many people riding it with me.



Just ask the wifey about her first day on a snowboard in Tahoe. It was freaking dumping!! I'd get like 3 inches of snow on me just riding the chairlift up - it was unreal. She understood the rules though - that's when I knew she was marriage material! Actually for her, I made a small exception to the rule. I got her started on the easy run and would come back and check on her at the end of every run. I even did a couple runs with her. She's the one person I wouldn't throw out of the chairlift, well at least 99% of the time! Anyway, she had fun in the couple feet of powder as it was a nice soft cushion for her. I was up the top of the mountain finding the steep and deep and burning my back leg out (in powder you have to lean back, thus putting more work on your back leg). Powder puts the FU in fun, but it's harder to ride in then hardpack. Hopefully there will be plenty of the white stuff in Canada this March! So just remember rule #1, the only rule you need on a powder day!

No comments:

Post a Comment