Monday, January 14, 2013

Like Father, Like Son

It's true what they say, like father like son. Don't believe me? Read some more and you'll understand why I think it has some merit. Even though my main man (my 3 year old Brock) was pretty young for bikes more then a year ago, it didn't stop the wife and I from trying to get him on a strider and a little tricycle. We tried and tried, but never wanted to get too pushy about it. I would just suggest to him, "hey buddy you wanna try one of your bikes today"? I was always answered with a very quick and resounding "no, I don't ride bikes today"! So we never pushed it too much, but would take the bikes out, maybe try and get him to sit on one. He just wasn't ready yet.

 This past summer Amie and I would go to our local mountain biking spot, Anne Springs in Fort Mill, SC and ride. She would ride while I would take Brock for a hike in the woods. When Amie was done, then I would get to ride my bike and she would hang with Brock. It wasn't long before Brock decided he was missing out on the fun. So one day late this past summer Brock says, "I want to go mountain biking". So I sat him down and said, "ok buddy, but first you have to learn how to ride your bike before we take you on the trails". He immediately said, "today daddy"? to which I of course said, "sure buddy".



He started first on his tricycle and I had to do some pushing here and there mostly going uphill, but he picked it up pretty well. He moved on to the strider in the fall. Seems like he always wanted to veer off the road onto the dirt. Of course I was all for it, quietly saying "thatta boy" under my breathe. For those of you unfamiliar with a strider bike, it is simply a small 12" wheeled bike with no cranks or pedals on it. The boy or girl scoots their feet on the ground to get it moving and stomps their feet down to hit the brakes like fred flintstone.


Brock pretty much let's his momentum carry him down hill and doesn't worry so much about the slowing down part. Eventually when he is going so fast that he can't control the bike anymore and he just crashes to stop. Makes for some exciting moments, and the two of us get some good laughs out of it. At least it's winter now and his big puffy jacket cushions his fall!

After one of his famous crashes - notice the sticks and leaves in his helmet and the smile

Over the Holidays Brock decided he wanted to make riding his priority everyday. Great, what mountain biking mom and dad wouldn't be happy with that? We even rode some sketchy stuff (freeride stunts) that I built in the woods behind our house.


Of course, just like his Dad, Brock was heading right for the biggest jump out there. It will be a while before he can carry speed to clear it, but it sure didn't stop him from trying. Must be encoded in his DNA or something. I foresee lots of days with the whole family together enjoying the outdoors riding our bikes for many years to come. 


We even found a way for Brock to get his bike to the trail. No, I don't actually drive down the road with the bike back there, haha. That bike gets the royal treatment in the car or a certain 38 inch tall guy gets upset - you don't want to upset the Leprechaun!


I even got the little guy to the U.S. National Whitewater Center for a mountain bike ride. My thought was to go to a specific area and "session" the moderate hill over and over. Brock was all pumped up though and decided like he always does that he wanted to keep following the trail. We scoot around the whitewater park channel and it's not long before we see a trail darting in the woods. Soon as we head in the woods my phone rings and it's an important call that I need to take or you will never get them on the phone again. Brock goes flying down the hill at the same time. I mean he's moving. The corner proves a little to much for him at that speed and BAM, right into a tree. Hard plastic tires don't grip so well. The crash looked a little nasty. He get's up right away and says he is ok, brushes some dirt off his hands, and mounts up and takes off again! I'm yelling alright buddy, totally forgetting and kinda not caring that I'm on a professional call and not a personal one. I quickly get rid of the call as I would rather enjoy the time in the woods with my son. 


We had some close calls on some steep sections. Lucky for Brock his daddy knows where things would go wrong on some of the steep downhills and stands in that spot to catch him. You see, this trail has some very steep sections for grown up, experienced mountain bikers. This is why I was so impressed with his willingness to charge stuff that looks big to me - I can only imagine how big it looks to him. We even climbed up some big hills and I was surprised at how fast he was climbing. We did a couple miles in under an hour.


Early last week Brock heard me talking to a friend about the upcoming Winter Short Track race. Would be the first race back for me since June 2011. As soon as Brock heard me say mountain bike race he immediately said "Brockie wants to go ride a NEW TRAIL" in a very enthusiastic and high pitched voice. At first we figured he could just ride a section of trail that isn't used for the race, but a friend told me that kids 8 and under race for free. We thought, why not sign him up - if he decides that it's not for him then no big deal. We told Brock he could go and "ride with friends" on the short track. Didn't want him to feel pressured or nervous about "racing". We lined up and Brock was super excited. He kept saying, "let's go, let's go. I was pretty shocked that everyone at the race pretty much stopped what they were doing to watch this race. Everyone was cheering, and encouraging - I even heard a bunch of cowbells. He was stoked and smiling at all the attention! It all kinda distracted him a little and he was more focused on looking around rather then scooting. It is a race after all! He was pulling up the rear, I mean way back - dead last. I joked with some friends that I saw on the course that Brock starts like daddy does - DFL. Everybody was smiling and having a great time though. Once he got into the woods he settled down and even got to roost a big berm. We finally cross the line for a big moment.


He even got a medal that he is still wearing 2 days later. I think you'll see more of him at the Short Track this year! 


For those of you who have known me for sometime, I think you'll agree that little guy is learning to be a charger like his dad! Next up hear about how my return to racing went............

No comments:

Post a Comment